Job Title: Course Teacher
Place of Work: Cambridge
Reporting to: Director of Curriculum
Reach Cambridge (est. 2004) specialises in offering a range of residential summer academic programs in Cambridge and online courses for international teenagers aged 14 to 18 years old. We are most proud of the fact that many of our students come from personal referrals through family, friends, schools or agents, and many of our seasonal staff remain involved and connected to Reach in a variety of ways and return year on year.
Our mission is to enable students to prepare for the future by offering the international experience of a lifetime within a fun, nurturing and academically enriching community and we work with an incredible team of people within and outside of the organisation in order to achieve that goal.
Main purpose and scope of the service
The subject teacher helps design, prepare, coordinate and deliver some or all of an academic subject course.
Support will be given by the Senior Leadership Team throughout the term of your agreement. There will also be teacher training sessions scheduled before the summer school programs and weekly teacher meetings during them.
We welcome applications from any subject courses and taster courses. The full list can be found on our courses page https://www.reachcambridge.com/courses
Schedule of Services
Before the start of the program
- Delivering session outlines and detailed session plans
- Designing the overall course schedule and syllabus for course(s) (where applicable)
- Assisting with design of diagnostic test for students (if required)
- Adjusting sessions in line with the abilities and experiences of the learners as judged by personal statement and school transcript
During the program
- Teaching on an academic residential course
- Organising and supervising educational excursions and activities as appropriate to the course
- Monitoring the behaviour and welfare of all students on the subject course during class times and communicating any issues to the senior leadership team
- Assisting with the pastoral care of the students, which may involve dealing with any medical emergencies or issues, and keeping the necessary staff and forms up to date
- Being updated and aware of important policies including safeguarding
- Supporting the smooth and successful running of the summer programmes at all times
Teachers are remunerated starting from £35/h for in-session teaching time. A single session can last from 1 hour to 4 hours and multiple sessions (spread over several days) are possible subject to course outlines and availability.
Each subject class has an assigned budget of £50 per student for classroom materials, experiments, trips, etc. The teachers are encouraged to use this budget upon prior agreement with the senior leadership team.
Summer 2023 Dates & Hours
- Sunday 2nd July – Saturday 15th July 2023
- Sunday 16th July – Saturday 29th July 2023
- Sunday 30th July – Saturday 12th August 2023
Lessons usually run Monday-Friday from 9am – 1pm and students can join us for 2 weeks or 4 weeks in the summer.
At Reach we believe in providing an optimal learning-experience to all of our students every time we offer a course, and we know this starts with our teachers.
In collaboration with the senior leadership team, Reach Cambridge teachers and coordinators are encouraged to participate actively in designing their subject-classes and are given the freedom to introduce their own interests and expertise — ensuring both that our classes keep up to date with the latest developments in fields across the disciplines and that teachers and students have the best experience possible. We truly believe the best classes come from enthusiastic teachers who are passionate about what they’re teaching and feel supported to make adventurous leaps!
Take advantage of our training sessions and weekly summer lunch meetings to make contacts with other teachers and to brainstorm with our experienced team of educators, many of whom return to us year on year based on their positive Reach-experiences.
HOW TO APPLY:
Click the button below to submit an application. Rolling applications until all vacancies filled. Successful candidates will be invited to interview via zoom.
Before completing an application, please read this document on Visas and Right to Work in the U.K: Visa Notice
Reach Cambridge promotes the safeguarding of young people. Should applicants be successful, we will contact at least one referee and will carry out an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check.