Job Title: Subject Teacher
Date of advert: December 2019
Place of Work: Classrooms in the Cambridge University Colleges & Other Central Locations
Reporting to: Director of Curriculum (DoC) and Course Coordinator
Based in Cambridge, Reach Cambridge (est. 2004) specialises in offering a range of short residential academic programmes for 14-18 year olds from all over the world.
During our academic summer schools, students choose one subject course to study throughout the duration of their time with us.
Main purpose and scope of the service
The subject teacher role involves the design, preparation and delivery of classes on a subject course. Support will be given by the Director of Curriculum throughout the term of your agreement. There will also be teaching training sessions scheduled before the summer programs and weekly teacher meetings.
We welcome applications from any subjects, including, but not limited to those advertised for main subject courses and taster courses, as well as:
- Leadership Skills
- Other subjects needed as well
Schedule of Services
Before the start of the program:
- Delivering session outlines and detailed session plans
- Assisting with design of diagnostic test for students (if required)
During the program
- Teaching on an academic residential course.
- Organising and supervising educational excursions and activities as appropriate to the course.
- Monitoring the behaviour and welfare of all students on the subject course during class times and communicating any issues to senior management.
- Assisting with the pastoral care of the students, which may involve dealing with any medical emergencies or issues, and keeping the necessary staff and forms up to date.
- Being updated and aware of important policies including safeguarding.
- Supporting the smooth and successful running of the summer programmes at all times during their employment.
Dates & Hours
The course dates for 2020 are:
- 29th March -11th April
- 28th June – 11th July (Program 1)
- 12th July – 25th July (Program 2)
- 26th July – 8th August (Program 3)
Students can join us for 1 or 2 weeks in the spring and can combine programs in the summer to join us for either 2 or 4 weeks.
Remuneration and benefits
Teachers are remunerated starting from £35/h for in-session teaching time. A single session can last from 1 hour to 4 hours and multiple sessions (spread over several days) are possible subject to course outlines and availability.
A Weekly Teacher Lunch will be provided during our summer programs. There will also be possibilities for partial travel expense reimbursement.
Each subject class has an assigned budget of £50 per students for classroom materials, experiments, trips, etc. The teachers are encouraged to use this budget upon prior agreement with DoC and Course Coordinator.
At Reach we believe in providing an optimal learning-experience to all of our students every time we offer a course, and we know this starts with our teachers.
In collaboration with the Director of Curriculum and Course Coordinator, where relevant, Reach teachers are encouraged to participate actively in designing their subject-classes and are given the freedom to introduce their own interests and expertise — ensuring both that our classes keep up to date with the latest developments in fields across the disciplines and that teachers and students have the best experience possible. We truly believe the best classes come from enthusiastic teachers who are passionate about what they’re teaching and feel supported to make adventurous leaps!
Take advantage of our training sessions and weekly summer lunches to make contacts with other teachers and to brainstorm with our experienced team of educators, many of whom return to us year on year based on their positive Reach-experiences.
HOW TO APPLY:
APPLY NOW. Successful applicants will be invited for interview. Interviews are available in Cambridge, London or exceptionally on Skype as a first interview.
Reach Cambridge promotes the safeguarding of young people. Should applicants be successful, we will contact at least one referee and an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check will be required.
For a printable version of the job description please click here: Teacher-Schedule-of-Services-2020