Programme Dean – Summer 2019
Job Title: Programme Dean (previously Director of Student Life) (Seasonal)
Date of advert: January 2019
Place of Work: Cambridge University Colleges
Reporting to: Programme Director
£500 – £625 per week (based on experience), including half board and accommodation
The resident Programme Dean is responsible for the well-being and comfort of our students, many of whom will be away from home for the first time.
The Programme Dean will be available for the duration of our summer programmes and will liaise with other Reach Directors, and provide guidance to supervisors and teaching staff. He or she will help oversee the pastoral care of our students. He or she will help to resolve any welfare issues and disciplinary issues our students may have, ensuring all rules and regulations of the programmes are upheld at all times. He or she will work with the senior team to ensure the smooth running of the summer programmes at all times.
Residing overnight in Cambridge the programme dates are:
- Programme 1: Sunday 30th June – Saturday 14th June (2 weeks)
- Programme 2: Sunday 15th July – Saturday 27th July (2 weeks)
- Programme 3: Sunday 28th July – Saturday 10th August (2 weeks)
We will consider applicants who are only available for one or two of the programmes. Please note that all staff are expected to attend essential training which usually takes place the Friday & Saturday before each programme start date.
Purpose of Job:
To ensure the welfare and comfort needs of students are met by being available for advice and guidance on any matters which arise with their accommodation or during trips.
- As an ambassador of Reach Cambridge be the first point of contact for all student welfare and comfort needs during non-classroom activities – principally in the evenings, overnight and during trips.
- Provide information, guidance and advice on all aspects of student life in Cambridge, and contribute to the sharing of information and knowledge during visits and excursions in the city and elsewhere.
- Identify and resolve any difficulties students may have as they relate to transfers, accommodation, administration, communicating home, getting to venues and keeping to schedules so that their Reach Cambridge experience is as trouble free as it can be.
- Ensure all staff are aware of, and comply with, the day-to-day management, administrative, financial and operational procedures of Reach Cambridge and offer advice and guidance where they do not.
- Uphold, protect and promote Reach Cambridge’s core values, protocols and standard operating procedures so that students do the same.
- Undertake all other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the knowledge, skills and experience of this role as may be requested by the Managing Director or one of her nominees.
- Articulate, engaging and sociable.
- Approachable and assertive
- Empathetic, supportive and positive
- Gentle leadership which engenders trust and confidence from others
- High levels of energy, resilience and enthusiasm
Experience and Knowledge:
- First Degree (2.1+)
- Cambridge city, its colleges and history
- Working with young people
- Summer school
- Working as part of a senior leadership team within an educational institution
HOW TO APPLY:
APPLY NOW. Successful applicants will be invited for interview. Interviews are available in Cambridge, London or exceptionally on Skype as a first interview.
Reach Cambridge promotes the safeguarding of young people. Should applicants be successful, we will contact at least one referee and an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check will be required.
For a printable version of the job description please click here: Programme Dean Job Description 2019