Job Title: Subject Course Coordinator
Date of advert: January 2020
Place of Work: Classrooms in the Cambridge University Colleges & Other Central Locations
Reporting to: Director of Curriculum (DoC)
Based in Cambridge, Reach Cambridge (est. 2004) specialises in offering a range of short residential academic programmes for 14-18 year olds from all over the world.
During our academic summer schools, students choose one subject course to study throughout the duration of their time with us.
Main purpose and scope of the service
The subject coordinator designs, prepares and manages a subject course. The service also involves teaching students on the course, with a particular focus on the coordinator’s relevant field of expertise.
Support will be given by the Director of Curriculum throughout the term of your agreement. There will also be teacher training sessions scheduled before the summer school programs and weekly teacher meetings during them.
We welcome applications from any subjects. The full list can be found on our courses page https://www.reachcambridge.com/courses
Schedule of Services
Before the start of the program:
- Designing an overall subject course schedule and syllabus in line with the guidance provided by the DoC.
- Assisting in the selection of teachers and guest lecturers for the subject course.
- Delivering detailed course teaching schedules and contingency plans.
- Delivering session outlines and detailed session plans provided by all course teachers.
- Assisting with the design of diagnostic tests for students (as required).
- Planning and preparing a budget for the course.
During the program
- Overall management of the subject course to ensure the smooth running of the classes on a day-to-day basis.
- Supervising teachers during classes by conducting classroom observations and providing immediate feedback to them (minimum of one observation per teacher per programme).
- Teaching at least 20 hours of classes on an academic residential course.
- Organising and supervising educational excursions and activities as appropriate to the course.
- Monitoring the behaviour and welfare of all students during class times and communicating any issues to senior management.
- Overseeing all students on a daily basis during class times as part of a larger team.
- Assisting with the pastoral care of the students, which may involve dealing with any medical emergencies or issues, and keeping the necessary staff and forms up to date.
- Being updated and aware of important policies including safeguarding.
- Supporting the smooth and successful running of the summer programmes at all times during their contract.
Dates & Hours
The course dates for summer 2020 are:
- 28th June – 11th July (Program 1)
- 12th July – 25th July (Program 2)
- 26th July – 8th August (Program 3)
Students can join us 2 weeks or can combine programs and join us for 4 weeks.
Remuneration and benefits
- Program 1: £1200
- Program 2: £1200
- Program 3: £1200
Any teaching hours additional to the required 20 hours have to be approved by the DoC and can be remunerated at a rate of £35/h.
Returning coordinators are eligible to receive a one-off additional bonus.
A Weekly Teacher Lunch will be provided during our summer programs. There will also be possibilities for partial travel expense reimbursement.
Each subject class has an assigned budget of £50 per students for classroom materials, experiments, trips, etc. Coordinators are encouraged to use this budget upon prior agreement with the DoC.
HOW TO APPLY:
APPLY NOW. Successful applicants will be invited for interview. Interviews are available in Cambridge, London or exceptionally on Skype as a first interview.
Before completing an application, please read this document on Visas and Right to Work in the U.K Reach Cambridge Visa Policy Document 2020
Reach Cambridge promotes the safeguarding of young people. Should applicants be successful, we will contact at least one referee and an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check will be required.
For a printable version of the job description please click here: Coordinator-Schedule-of-Services-2020.