Assistant Summer Programme Director – Summer 2019
Job title: Assistant Summer Programme Director (Seasonal)
Date of advert: January 2019
Place of Work: Cambridge University Colleges
Reporting to: Programme Director
£550 – £675 per week (based on experience), including half board and accommodation
The resident Assistant Director will work alongside the Programme Director to ensure the safe, successful and smooth running of the summer programmes.
The Assistant Director will be available for the duration of our summer programmes and will liaise with the Programme Director and the rest of the senior team to provide direct guidance and leadership to a large team of supervisors and teaching staff. He or she will help oversee the welfare of our students, and will assist the Programme Director in implementing our safeguarding policy. He or she will help to resolve any welfare issues and disciplinary issues our students may have, ensuring all rules and regulations of the programmes are upheld at all times. He or she will oversee the daily programme schedule, problem-solve and offer solutions and contingencies where required. The role will also involve direct contact with parents and other external third parties.
Residing overnight in Cambridge the programme dates are:
- Programme 1: Sunday 30th June – Saturday 14th July (2 weeks)
- Programme 2: Sunday 15th July – Saturday 27th July (2 weeks)
- Programme 3: Sunday 28th July – Saturday 10th August (2 weeks)
We will consider applicants who are only available for one or two of the programmes. Please note that all staff are expected to attend essential training which usually takes place the Friday & Saturday before each program start date.
Purpose of Job:
To ensure the smooth running of the summer programmes by: (a) looking after the welfare of the students, (b) liaising with other staff, parents, students and third parties, (c) troubleshooting & problem-solving, (d) maintaining an overview of the bigger picture & overall programme schedule, (e) ensuring and promoting clear communication channels at all times and adherence to organisational processes and procedures.
- Act as an ambassador of Reach Cambridge and be a first point of contact for all staff and student needs. Help with any welfare concerns or behavioural incidents.
- Maintain an overview of the bigger picture as well as the daily schedule and ensure all updates and plans are communicated clearly to all staff, students and third parties. Work with the Director to make considered changes due to any unforeseen circumstances.
- Identify and resolve any difficulties students may have as they relate to transfers, accommodation, administration, communicating home, getting to venues and keeping to schedules so that their Reach Cambridge experience is as trouble free as it can be.
- Assist with urgent enquiries and, where appropriate, help to implement contingency plans.
- Ensure all staff are aware of, and comply with, the day-to-day management, administrative, financial and operational procedures of Reach Cambridge and offer advice and guidance where they do not.
- Uphold, protect and promote Reach Cambridge’s core values, protocols and standard operating procedures so that students do the same.
- Undertake all other duties and responsibilities commensurate with the knowledge, skills and experience of this role as may be requested by the Programme Director or one of their nominees.
- Articulate, engaging and sociable
- Approachable and assertive
- Empathetic, supportive and positive
- Gentle leadership which engenders trust and confidence from others
- High levels of energy, resilience and enthusiasm
Experience and Knowledge:
- First Degree (2.1+)
- Cambridge city, its colleges and history (Desirable)
- Valid First Aid Certificate (Desirable)
- Working with young people
- Summer school
- Working as part of a senior leadership team within an educational institution
HOW TO APPLY:
APPLY NOW. Successful applicants will be invited for interview. Interviews are available in Cambridge, London or exceptionally on Skype as a first interview.
Reach Cambridge promotes the safeguarding of young people. Should applicants be successful, we will contact at least one referee and an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check will be required.
For a printable version of the job description please click here: Assistant Director Job Description 2019